Chartered Professional Designation
17 March 2015
Saiosh is pleased to announce that the highest level of professional registration in the field of Occupational Health and Safety in South Africa is now available! This level is the IOSH SA SAQA registered professional designation - Chartered Member (CMIOSHSA).
Chartered Member is the fourth level of the IOSH SA professional designations and provides an opportunity for persons with degree level qualifications and practical experience to practice at the highest level in the field of Occupational Health and Safety.
This title is not given but earned via further study, experience gained and being able to demonstrate such experience, and knowledge. The incumbent would be working at a strategic level, possibly at senior management level, and in some cases at executive management level. By this persons evaluated competence, he/she would be able to demonstrate management functions, such as budgets, strategic integrated planning, demonstrate that he/she has strong communication skills, and has gained sufficient competence and experience in their chosen field. It represents a benefit to broader society and demonstrates that this person will be a value adding professional to any company or organizations board or management team. This highly skilled OHS professional should also contributing to the other person's development, passing on those skills and knowledge management, guide and direct operations that are not harmful and to always use their knowledge in line with the Code of Conduct, by not operating outside their field of competence.
The purpose of the qualification is to acknowledge the skills acquired for competent practice by Chartered OHS professionals, across all industry sectors to:
- integrate occupational health and safety legislation and practice, integrate occupational health, safety and hygiene, co-ordinate and conduct OHS audits, initiate action plans,
- manage health and safety training, training needs analysis, develop training plans,
- co-ordinate OHS management systems and programs, and communicate with outside legal or government bodies regarding health and safety,
- conduct OHS research,
- implement general management principles, including business continuity plans,
- implement management skills, e.g. negotiation and manage conflict, budgets, operations, HR requirements, managing people skills, strategic management,
- co-ordinate occupational health, safety and risk management integration, defining and quantifying risk against cost, operational efficiency and scheduling of implementation,
- testify and be recognised as an expert witness in the field of Occupational Health and Safety.
CRITERIA FOR OBTAINING THE CHARTERED MEMBER PROFESSIONAL DESIGNATION
For the Professional Designation to be awarded, professionals must comply with the following minimum requirements:
- Academic Component - Complete an NQF Level 7 (480 credits) or higher qualification in Occupational Health and Safety or related discipline e.g. B Tech, Degree, Honours, Masters.
- Practical/Workplace Experience - Minimum of 5 years post graduate Occupational Health and Safety workplace experience required.
- Competency Assessment - Verification of portfolio of evidence.
CRITERIA FOR RETAINING THE PROFESSIONAL DESIGNATION
In order to ensure the currency of professional knowledge and to retain the Professional Designation, the professional is required to complete CPD and must accumulate an amount of CPD points per year as stipulated in the CPD policy.
Code of Conduct
Designees must abide by the Institution’s Code of Conduct and not work outside of their scope of expertise. The Chartered Member must realize his/her limitations, and as is necessary refer these matters to the appropriate authorities.
- Only current Graduate (GradIOSHSA) Members can apply for Chartered Membership
- Only Members that meet the minimum criteria can apply (see criteria above)
- The applicant's online CPD must be up to date
- Only certified copies of the qualifications will be accepted
- The portfolio of evidence must give clear evidence of the applicant's work experience and must cover the CMIOSHSA description items above. It must be at least 5 000 words and must have traceable references to companies and persons during the work experience. Reference to research projects must also be included. The portfolio of evidence must preferably the written in the Harvard style of reporting
- Application must be done online on the prescribed form
- A once off application and assessment fee of R895 is payable.
* Applications not complying with the above will not be accepted.
If you meet the minimum requirements you can apply for Chartered Membership, click on the "register" icon below.